Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great American Solar Eclipse 2017

Perhaps people in the direct path of the Monday, August 21, 2017 total solar eclipse should get out their pots and pans.


According to folklore, some cultures got together and banged pots and pans in an attempt to scare away supposed demons causing the solar eclipse.


Total eclipse is an intense experience.  It will be night in the middle of day, and several planets will be visible with the naked eye including Jupiter, Venus, and Mars.  Bright stars will also shine.  Usually, any breeze will dissipate and birds will roost and stop chirping.  Nocturnal creatures may come out.  The temperature will drop 10 degrees.


A total solar eclipse is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  On August 21, 2017, the Great American Eclipse will begin at 1:15 pm EST, over Oregon, head southeast across the nation and at 2:34 pm, glide into western North Carolina, continue to Charleston, and head to sea.


The moon will cover the sun during total eclipse and cast a shadow on earth.  You'll see a total eclipse if you're in the dark part of that shadow (the umbra).  Folks in the light part (the penumbra), will see a partial eclipse.


Safety is the key to watching a solar eclipse.  Never look directly at the sun without protection because it can permanently damage your eyes.  The only safe way to view the eclipse is through special solar filters such as "eclipse glasses" or hand-held solar viewers.  It's safe to look at the eclipse with the naked eye when the moon completely covers the sun.


A total solar eclipse will attract crowds.  Some estimate the seven western North Carolina counties could draw one million visitors with people arriving days before the event.  Roads will be congested.  To avoid chaos, locals are encouraged to fill gas tanks, buy groceries, get supplies a week before the total eclipse.  Treat it like a major snowstorm.


It might even be a good idea to get out your pots and pans and bang on them.


Seriously, this will be a big sky event that we'll talk about for a long time.  Enjoy it and please stay safe!


by:  Brenda Kay Ledford

4 comments:

Henny Penny said...

Thank you. I've been hearing about the eclipse, but this is the most information I read. My sister and her husband are talking about going your way to be there and see the eclipse.

magnoliasntea said...

Looks like I better get my eclipse glasses ordered. I wouldn't want to miss this. Thanks for the reminder and have a great week!

Connie said...

It will only be a partial eclipse here where I live. I've been hearing a lot about it on the news. I hope you enjoy it there, Brenda!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I have been hearing so much about this event, and I so enjoyed reading your post about it....the pots and pans made me chuckle. I just found out from out son the other day, that we will not be able to view this from where we live! We live in the west part of Texas......I am so disappointed!