Monday, November 18, 2013

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

I gaze out my window at the Blue Ridge Mountains unfurling like royal ribbons.  Feather clouds dance through periwinkle skies and a wedge of geese resounds like a pow wow.

Oak leaves ride the wind like canoes.  Poplar trees overlook a cornfield.  Corn shocks rattle their fingers in the wind.  Soon Hub Cheeks will bring his combine and cut the silage.

A celery-colored hill peeks above Hyatt Mill Creek.  Black and white cattle huddle beneath a persimmon tree.

I recall Mama used to gather persimmons each fall and make preserves.  The bitter-sweet jelly tasted delicious on hot, buttered biscuits.

Something moves.  My friend, Nancy Simpson, says that to detect something moving is like another sense.  We have five senses:  sight, taste, feeling, hearing, and smelling. To sense something moving is almost another sense.

I do sense something moving.  I ease the curtains back for a better view.  Three deer glide over a split-rail fence then bound into the woods.  I wonder if they will escape the hunters this year.

Each evening same time, around dusk, five wild turkeys march up our neighbor's driveway.  The fowls strut in a straight line, cross Swaims Road, then disappear into the pine thicket with a gobble. At Thanksgiving these birds need to tone it down and hide.

At Thanksgiving, we need to count our blessings.  It's a time for recalling long ago falls of family fun and laughter.  It reminds us of good times and God's many blessings.

I hope all my blogger friends have a very Happy Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for my blogger friends and enjoy visiting your wonderful sites.



12 comments:

Susie Swanson said...

Those turkeys are out in full view Brenda. If they knew what's best for them they'd hide. I love this so much. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your mother as well.

lil red hen said...

I love your description of nature around you. I've never eaten persimmons any way but raw, but my daughter made persimmon bread one time. She said it took a lot of them to make an amount large enough for the bread.

Also, wishing you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Brenda Kay!
"Oak leaves ride the wind like canoes."
That's a great line. I love it.
Those wild turkeys have a good home to have lasted this long. ;)
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Connie said...

Beautiful description, Brenda. Yes, those birds do need to tone it down and hide this time of year--haha!

Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I agree, those silly birds don't know how hungry we are all getting! LOL. Such pretty photos. I love what you express about Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving to you.........so glad to have you as a blogging friend!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful words and photos, Brenda. I love this time of year. There is SO much to be Thankful for. I'll be doing my Thanksgivings tomorrow on my blog.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Hugs,
Betsy

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Another beautiful word painting Brenda, and pretty pictures to match. Always so uplifting to read your words.

Janet said...

Such a descriptive post! A happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

Granny Sue said...

It was a like taking a walk with you this morning. Your words have pictures painted on them.

Glenda Beall said...

"corn shocks rattle their fingers in the wind." great line, great image. You could be describing my view from my window with the turkeys and the deer. How fortunate we are to live so close to the natural world around us. Happy Thanksgiving, Brenda Kay. I so enjoy your photos and your posts.

Delisa said...

Hi Brenda Kay! I hope you are having a lovely day. How I am longing to see the Blue Ridge mountains again. Sigh! We traveled to North Carolina a couple of years ago for a family wedding and I fell in love with the area. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Your pictures are wonderful, and I love reading your blog!. Have a restful day ahead. With Love Delisa :)

Nancy Simpson said...

Brenda, you've captured the season and it does my heart good to read this descriptive account. I hope you, Blanche, and Barbara had a wonderful Thanksgiving as much as I enjoyed my holiday with my children. I do not think I will ever forget this Thanksgiving.


www.nancysimpson.blogspot.com