Tuesday, June 11, 2024

BLACKBERRY JELLY

                                            My beautiful mother sitting on the front porch.


 BLACKBERRY JELLY

I look in the mirror
and Mother is reflected in me.
I'm more like her every day.
Each morning she rose
as the rooster crowed
and the sun peeked over
Shewbird Mountain like a ruby.
Honeysuckle perfumed the pine grove
as she grabbed a bucket
and headed to the berry patch.
She stretched her body through briars
to pluck the plump fruit,
ran like a racehorse when
a black snake chased her home.
I watched Mother as she stood
over the woodstove making jelly,
sweat ran down her face.
I helped her wash the Ball jars
to preserve the flavors of our farm.
Although she's been gone
for three years from earth,
I feel close to her 
as I flip through her recipes
that she wrote on napkins,
paper bags, and notebook paper.
I can hear her voice telling
me to Clean up the kitchen,
as I use the bowls and utensils,
Don't waste the ingredients,
money doesn't grow on trees.
I'm proud when I look
in the mirror and see
the spitting image of Mother.
                  --Brenda Kay Ledford 

9 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a wonderful poem! So many people do not want to turn into their mothers, but that is not a bad thing! The wisdom, love, and perseverance of our Moms is something to embrace! And your Mom was gorgeous!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Brenda, this is definitely one of your very best! I laughed out loud at the picture of the snake chasing your mother home. I had to tell my husband what was so funny! My mother, too, has been in heaven for a long time. Wouldn't it be funny if they had met each other?

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Beautiful memories of your dear mother. Lovely in every way.

Mari said...

Beautiful picture of your mom and a wonderful tribute in the poem. My sister and I were together Saturday and were talking about how we see ourselves doing mom things more all the time. :)

Granny Marigold said...

A touching poem that reveals your loving memories of your Mother. Mine has been gone for some 40 years and I still miss her. Thank you.

Julie said...

Hello Brenda ... this is just beautiful & bought big tears to my eyes as I remembered my dear Mum also. What a wonderful tribute to your sweet Mama. Thank you for your visit to my blog & the kind comment you left me. Wishing you a wonderful day Brenda.

Julie said...

Hello Brenda ... this is just beautiful & bought big tears to my eyes as I remembered my dear Mum also. What a wonderful tribute to your sweet Mama. Thank you for your visit to my blog & the kind comment you left me. Wishing you a wonderful day Brenda.

Jeanette said...

Lovely poem to your mother. I too see my mother when I look in the mirror!

BVLW said...

Homemade blackberry jelly is the very best when it's eaten with hot biscuits and country made butter. This poem is a reminder that we're just about to loose what has made America great. BVLW