Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Goldenrods

A torch that lights
the fields at fall,
glowing like gold
on the roadsides.

You outshine other wildflowers
putting on a show,
and pulse in the wind;
a torch that lights.

I've longed for cooler weather
on hot summer days,
glorious goldenrods adorning
the fields at fall.

Summer scorched the skin
of tender plants,
you sprang forth just in time,
glowing like gold.

Who is the champion
of autumn's fashion show?
It is the goldenrod
burning on the road banks.
            --Brenda Kay Ledford

The goldenrods, Joe-Pye weeds, iron weeds, and purple asters are blooming now.  These wildflowers testify that fall cannot be far away.  You can see the leaves taking on a golden glow in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  I hope we will have a brilliant, colorful foliage show.  I've heard over the radio that the apples are abundant this year in our region.  I'm looking forward to autumn.  I'm grateful to live in an area where each season has its beauty.

 
A morning glory glows on cornstalks.
 
 

                                                 Paint ponies overlook Shooting Creek.

  
                                                 Soon foliage will shimmer like a box of crayons.



17 comments:

Dorothy said...

Nice poem! Looks like Fall is right around the corner!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Amazing how fast the summer has flown by this year.. We haven't had a hot summer (like normal)--but we also have not had the rain that many other nearby areas have had...

I am one who loves FALL--and cannot wait for it to get here... I love the Fall colors, the wildflowers, and walking in the crunchy leaves!!!!! Yeah!!!!

Great poem and photos.
Hugs,
Betsy

magnoliasntea said...

Beautiful poem Brenda. Those wildflowers do put on a show. Love the horses, too. Thank you for sharing. Have a great week!

lil red hen said...

I love your poem, Brenda. I haven't seen any golden rods here yet, but some fall flowers are blooming around the hay fields. The seasons are going so quickly!

NCmountainwoman said...

Loved the poem and the photographs and musings about fall. Summer is definitely on the wane.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely poem and photos. Those ponies are so sweet. Fall is my favorite time, except for the allergies! I look forward to apples from the orchard and maybe a fried pie or two.
God bless your weekend.

Connie said...

Lovely poem and photos too, Brenda. I'm in no hurry for summer to end, but I know it won't be long until fall is here again. Hope you have a nice weekend!

Hootin Anni said...

...a torch that lights!! I love that line.

I haven't seen a goldenrod blossom in ages. We used to see them in Nebraska during my youth...and my youth up and went a gazillion years ago. ;o)

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful photos and a lovely poem, too!

janet smart said...

I love fall and its many colors. I just hope it doesn't rush by and go into winter too quickly. I think I've seen the golden rods here, too.

Susie Swanson said...

Love this one Brenda and the photos as well. I love the signs of fall.Those beautiful flowers are such beauty to behold. It's always been my favorite season.

Glenda Beall said...

Beautiful poem and beautiful pictures. I love Fall also. I think it is coming soon.
Pretty horses.

Dorothy said...

Loved the poem and I REALLY love the Fall season! I'm looking forward the cooler days and colorful foilage and maybe a trip to the Smokies!!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Your photos are beautiful, as always and I really like that poem. Goldenrod was always one of my favorites. I am waiting impatiently for fall here, too. We probably won't get much of the brilliant color, but I will surely love cooler weather!

Nancy Simpson said...

Thanks for "Goldenrods" Brenda. I've been riding the country roads a lot recently sitting in the passenger's seat so I have seen a lot of goldenrods the subtle change in the seasons coming on. I love this time of year and more so because we had a cool August. My flowers are still in full bloom.

Linda said...

Excellent description. And I love the ponies.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your post is so uplifting and you are right fall is not far away! We don't have golden rods in our area.......wish we did. Such beautiful words and photos!