Saturday, August 5, 2023

Sunflower


 The first sunflower of August 
lifts a cup to drink light,
a Full Sturgeon Moon stamps
its fingerprint on royal-blue skies.

Golden coins spin from trees
on a pine-scented breeze,
walnuts plump to a carpet
of needles, squirrels gather food.

A wedge of wild geese honks
over the cornfield glittering with copper,
lilac asters bring bouquets to Swaims Road
as Hyatt-Mill Creek laughs through

a tunnel of Joe-pye weeds.
The tempo of nature increases:
creatures rush and prepare for winter,
kids get supplies, gear up for school.
                 --Brenda Kay Ledford

I wish all my blogger friends joy as autumn approaches.


3 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

A lovely poem that definitely has an Autumn feel.

BVLW said...

This poem, and sunflower-butterfly picture, has brought such joy and happiness to my morning. The bright and cheerful color has lifted my spirit and brought a smile to my face. Thank you for this posting. BVLW

Donna said...

Love the poem and I wish Fall would hurry up! lol
hugs
Donna