Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Signs of Fall


     It's beginning to look a lot like fall here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina.  There's no holding back autumn.  The first trees to turn are the walnuts.  Golden leaves flutter on the wind as the sunflowers lift their cups to drink light.

    A wedge of wild geese honks over the cornfield that glitters like copper.  Goldenrods waltz beside Hyatt-Mill Creek babbling past the Grove Farm.  Shewbird Mountain wears a purple shawl in the distance.  Cardinals spear red berries from the dogwood trees and lilac asters bring bouquets to Swaims Road.

    The evenings grow cooler and our Hayesville High School football team plays their rivals.  Our local church holds a luncheon for the Clay County Schools and I wear gold and black to support the Yellow Jackets.  I pick up a cake at the Ingles Grocery with the message:  Bless our schools!

    Each fall my heart is drawn toward the school.  As a retired educator, I will always long to teach kids.  I can almost smell the chalk, hear the kids treading down  the hall, and standing at the door greeting each child to my classroom.  My heart fills with love for my students.

    Fall is a beautiful season.  I love the bright colors, the wildflowers, football games, pumpkin pie, apple cider, and the Fall Festival held in our mountain town.

    Some call it autumn, others call it God!

6 comments:

BVLW said...

This reading is an amazing introduction to fall. Everything about this season gives us surprises: starting with cooler days, sounds of nature, and most of all a wide range of color. Love it! BVLW

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Your words paint a true description of this time of year. I applaud you for being a school teacher! I am sure your students remember you fondly! Wishing you pleasant "last days of summer"!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your words make me want fall to hurry and come! Bless you for being a school teacher! I am sure your students remember you fondly!
Wishing you pleasant summer days!

Donna said...

Schools really are in need of good teachers!
Is there a way you might start an online tutoring website? Keeps you in the game, so to speak but not the heavy workload. Take on as many or few students as you want.
Just a thought!
hugs
Donna

Carla from The River said...

Oh my, what a lovely reflection. I enjoyed reading this.
Carla

Judi Murphy said...

We had a very brief taste of autumn last week in southeastern PA. It's back to the lazy, hazies this week. But your words allow me to experience the hope of sweater weather as I sit here sweltering just a little longer. Enjoy those cool evenings soon to come!