Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Chicken of the Woods Mushrooms


 I never saw it coming when Mama asked if I had checked on the chicken.

"No, has it flown the coop? I asked.

She laughed and told me this chicken didn't need deboning or defeathering.  Just pluck it from a dead tree.

"Are you kidding, Mama?  I've never heard of that."

She frowned.  "I thought I had taught my children to identify plants.  Chicken of the Woods is a mushroom."

Chicken of the Woods is fan-shaped and has an orange and yellow colors.  It grows on dead trees.

I gave Mama a puzzled look.  She put on her straw hat and grabbed a basket.

"Come child," she said with her honey voice.  "We'll gather some Chicken of the Woods Mushroom and make a salad for supper."

I learned an important botany lesson that day.  A chicken is not a bird!

by:  Brenda Kay Ledford 

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

That is such a pretty mushroom and I assume it tastes good or your Mother wouldn't have wanted to pick it. The only mushroom we have here that I've seen ( that is, one that looks pretty) is the Fly Agaric ( which can cause hallucinations if eaten).
Have a lovely day, GM

BVLW said...

This is very informative, and I have learned something new.
BVLW

Donna said...

Lolol...I've never heard of this mushroom! How fun!
It's beautiful!
hugs
Donna

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a gorgeous mushroom! I had never heard of it either. How did it taste?

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I have never heard of or seen this type of lovely mushroom! So pretty!

Sandy Benson said...

Hello, Brenda Kay! These mushrooms are really pretty and interesting. We had them back in Nebraska, but I haven't seen any here. Now I know to keep an eye out for them. Thanks for sharing your wonderful stories and poems.