Thursday, January 26, 2017

Legacy of Love

This "Lone Star Quilt" was pieced by my grandmother, Minnie Matheson Ledford.

Around the quilting bee,
a patchwork of grandmothers
left a legacy--life lessons
for a future generation.

Wearing flour sack aprons,
mountain women taught patience:
stitches no bigger than pinpricks,
to savor time, good stewards of life.

Grandmother Minnie matched seams,
created patterns from scraps,
taught me to create my shape,
to choose a color scheme.

Great-Grandma Martha taught
me to lay aside work,
take time for pleasure;
a lesson she learned too late.

My kinfolks taught faith
in the Cathedral Windows,
beauty of Grandma's Zinnia Basket;
love in Grandmother's Engagement Ring.
                   --Brenda Kay Ledford


"Lady of the Lake" quilt was pieced by my sister, Barbara Ledford Wright.

"McComma's Quilt" was also pieced by Barbara Ledford Wright.

"Monkey Wrench" quilt was pieced by my mother, Blanche L. Ledford.

The Shooting Creek quilters holding a quilting bee.

8 comments:

Susie Swanson said...

Oh my, so beautiful. There's nothing more enjoyable than quilting. Like you, I learned early on and look forward to it so much. Those are some beautiful quilts and I know each one was sown with love just like your beautiful poem.

magnoliasntea said...

Beautifully written, Brenda. Love the photos, too.

lil red hen said...

Such beautiful quilts! And from experience, I know how difficult some of the quilts were to piece! Your poem has such special meaning too.

Connie said...

Lovely quilts and words to go with them, Brenda. Each of those quilts has a story to tell. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a wonderful heritage, Brenda! All the quilts are so pretty. My, how many hours went into each of them!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Martha and Minnie were obviously great role models for your mother and for you. How special is that. My mom was 42 when I was born --so I didn't have any grandparents still alive... I certainly missed out on SO MUCH.....

Love your writings. AND--I love your header.

Hugs,
Betsy

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my. What beautiful, intricate work! I wish I could go back in time and have a hands-on experience with the wise women of my past.

Anonymous said...

I love the poem and the photos of the quilts. I watch a show called Barn Builders on DIY network, and they recently had a quilting bee!