Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Homecoming

The Blue Ridge Mountains
unfurl royal blue ribbons,
ancient; carved from granite;
patchwork farms dot the cove.

Cornfields sway like ripples
in the honeysuckle wind,
Queen Anne's lace spins
doilies on the banks

welcoming me to the old homeplace.
Granddaddy's old grey barn
painted with a Lone Star quilt,
a raincrow performs the coda
to a love song.

The gravel road forks,
Hyatt-Mill Creek gurgles
over moss-covered rocks.
A footbridge shimmies,

Great-Granddaddy Dallas Matheson's
log cabin sheltered at the foot
of Shewbird Mountain;
I savor the sweet memories.
                   --Brenda Kay Ledford

9 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

You do have a way with words, Brenda. This poem is beautiful and so descriptive it makes the reader feel like they're there in the moment.
Have a great week!

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful poem Brenda. Takes me back to my childhood as well. I love your memories and poetry. Hope you're enjoying your summer and staying cool.

Connie said...

What a lovely poem, Brenda. My favorite part is this: "Queen Anne's lace spins
doilies on the banks." Such a wonderful image.

Hootin Anni said...

Fantastic image...
I love the line [stanza?] --- Cornfields sway like ripples
in the honeysuckle wind,

Janet, said...

Lovely, Brenda.

lil red hen said...

Splendid poem, Brenda!! I'd never thought of Queen Anne's lace in comparison with doilies, but it's an excellent description. On a hot day like today, I'd love to sit with my feet in that cool water.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Brenda, I think this is my favorite of your poems. It is so evocative, just lovely!

TexWisGirl said...

'lone star quilt' surprised me. :) lovely memories.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda, This is a lovely poem and photo. One of my favorites of yours.
We just moved to Cleveland GA! I sure do love the scenery around here.
God bless you.