Saturday, November 8, 2014

Miss Byrdie Dills

After days and days of rain,
magic slips into the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Sapphire skies reflect in puddles,

three wedges of geese resound
across the Groves' farm.
I will not succumb

to the power of autumn until
Miss Byrdie bursts forth.
Memories stir like apple butter

bubbling over an open fire.
The mountain woman cared
for her family and flowers,

gave rootlets to neighbors.
I cannot remember her face,
but when the mums explode

with colors each fall,
Miss Byrdie spills fragrance
upon a breeze.
                       --Brenda Kay Ledford
Reprinted from:  CREPE ROSES
                          Poetry Book
                          by:  Brenda Kay Ledford



14 comments:

Connie said...

This is a lovely and sweet poem, Brenda. The yellow mums are beautiful too. Yellow is my favorite color. Have a nice weekend!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I would say that Miss Byrdie left behind a beautiful legacy! Chrysanthemums are one of the best things about Fall.

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Brenda! Your poem is a lovely ode to Miss Byrdie. I love this time of year even with the blasts of cold air. Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

How very sweet. Thinking of you and wishing you and yours a blessed November.

TexWisGirl said...

how very sweet! heritage that lives on.

Lux G. said...

Nice poetry paired with lovely photos!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a great poem, Brenda... There are so many wonderful 'mountain' people who worked hard all of their lives. OH--the stories we could tell.

NONE of us these days works anywhere near as hard as our ancestors did....People 'back then' were such hard workers...

Happy Veteran's Day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful poem Brenda. You always have a way of bringing everything to life in your writing. Thank you so much for your prayers and sweet comments on mine. I'm doing some better and can't get on here much but I do miss your great posts. Tell your mother hello for me. ~Susie

Rana Williams said...

Very nice poem Brenda. I enjoyed reading it.

Clay County Chamber said...

You are truly a talented poet.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love this poem, especially the old woman sharing her plants. And "memories stir like apple butter bubbling" is perfect.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your poetry Brenda, great work again.

Happy
Thanksgiving!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How lovely! I did not know that you have a poetry book! That is wonderful!

KathyB. said...

I wish I had a Miss Byrdie to remember. I can almost see her through your words.