Monday, July 7, 2014

Summertime


Stray sun rays ricochet through
a layer of marshmallow clouds
on this July morning.

A rain crow coos
on Joe Knob and predicts
an evening shower.

The zinnias ballet dance
in pink, purple, and peach dresses,
on a guest of wind.

A cluster of mushrooms
sprinkles the yard with popcorn.
My neighbor's beagle digs holes,

nothing squelches his hunter's instinct.
My shoes slush through mud:
picking a bucket of blackberries.

I steal a peek
at the bluebird eggs,
wings flutter from the nest.

Mama bluebird keeps watch
on the power lines,
kathydids scrape fiddles on the ridge.
                      --Brenda Kay Ledford

13 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Brenda Kay!
I always enjoy your lovely poems, and this one is especially fun. You nailed the attributes zinnias and beagles. I'd never heard of a rain crow so that was interesting to look up and read about. I hope you and your mother are having a beautiful summer.

NCmountainwoman said...

What a lovely description of summertime. I really love it.

lil red hen said...

Beautiful poem, Brenda! You've captured lots of summer activities here. I remember those good wild blackberries, along with chiggers and June bugs.

Daisy said...

What a wonderful description of summertime! I really like this one, Brenda. Great images.

Muddling Through said...

What a perfect poem, Brenda! I especially like the ballet dancing zinnias. There is so much lovely to enjoy in the summertime, isn't there!

Blackberry Lane said...

This is just lovely Brenda. Good ole' summertime. Always a joy to visit with you.

Donna Volkenannt said...

What a lovely poem about summertime. So vivid and evocative!

TexWisGirl said...

lovely summer poem! :)

Susie Swanson said...

Love this one so much. You have described it so well.

Janet, said...

Nice poem, Brenda. A perfect description of summertime!

Linda said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this! I have dancing zinnias too!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I love your words and it makes summertime such a magical time! Have a great week ahead!

Betsy Adams said...

Hi There, Trying to catch up a bit... My crazy life this time of year keeps me busy--and blogging gets behind... Hope you are having a nice summer so far. We have had a cooler than normal July ---which is nice.

Love your Summer Poem...
Hugs,
Betsy

Great American Eclipse Experience

The Great American Eclipse united our country on August 21, 2017 awhile.  There were no blacks, whites, republicans, or democrats.  Confli...