Thursday, May 2, 2024

A Wildflower Refuge


 My yard needs mowing?
It's like a wilderness.
Bees buzz on clover,
dragonflies whizz through azure skies.

Dog-flea flowers nod
their purple heads in the wind,
songbirds perform a gig in poplars,
and wild roses perfume the hills.

My yard needs mowing?
It's a wildflower refuge,
a scarlet robe drapes my lawn,
buttercups pop up like sun drops.

One bunny rabbit hops over
a mat of verdant grass
and nibbles granola snacks,
butterflies feed on milkweed.

Tourists tumble from a van,
Jane dances on dandelions,
Spot poses center stage,
and Dick photographs the flowers.
                --Brenda Kay Ledford 

I hope all my blogger friends are having a beautiful spring. 

                 To all the moms:

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!



   





6 comments:

BVLW said...

No need to frown about the flowers blooming in the yard. They are a thing of beauty, and will soon be gone when they're mowed down. The poem is beautiful, and I enjoyed it so much.BVLW

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Love your poem and a yard full of blooms is always better than a yard of grass I think! Wishing you a happy Mother's day!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I enjoyed your lovely verse very much. Did you know in Great Britain that have what's called "No Mow May" to allow the bees and all of nature enjoy the natural beauty it brings. Happy Mother's Day to you!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Makes me want to never mow the lawn again!

Jeanette said...

Good reason to not mow! Happy Mother's Day to you also!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Mowing is over rated! Especially if you have a lawn full of dancing flowers. I can see them now!