Wednesday, November 1, 2023

November


 The golden glory of fall
retreated to the somber
season of winter's icy hands.

Trees gave up their garments
of bold, gaudy colors,
bronze leaves rode the wind

and spread a patchwork quilt
of brittle foliage across
the forest floor tucking nature

in for a long slumber.
I searched my attic
to decorate for November.

The pilgrims carried a cornucopia,
Native Americans wore deer skins,
orange turkeys bore salt shakers.

Outside my office window,
a flock of wild turkeys marched
to gobble grain scattered when farmers
harvested the cornfield.
                        -Brenda Kay Ledford

I wish my blogger friends a very 

Happy Thanksgiving Day!


9 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

I wasn't ready for the golden glory of fall to go, but it really is a time for us all to rest. I love this poem. It's one of my favorites.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I love it! There are so many happy memories wrapped up in your beautiful poem. I hope you have a truly wonderful Thanksgiving!

Granny Marigold said...

We have so much to be thankful for. I like your poem.

New Release Books said...

I love this! So much to be thankful for.

BVLW said...

This is a beautiful blog. The verse tells it like it should be.
BVLW

Betsafe said...

Your post was fantastic! Your perspective is valuable. I encourage you to continue writing.

Judi Murphy said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Brenda!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Wonderful poem and I hope this finds that you had a blessed and happy Thanksgiving day!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I love your sweet poem. Here's hoping you had a wonderful Thanksgiving day!