Thursday, August 6, 2020

Autumn Wildflowers



Fog rises from the mountains
as pink clouds swirl ribbons
over the fields of goldenrod
burning their torches.

Early morning dew covers
the jewelweed sparkling
as gems in the sunlight,
hummingbirds dip and dive

among the Joe-Pye weed,
cattle graze in yellow-green pastures,
the ironweed nods purple
heads on the wind.

Butterfly weed dot roadbanks
across the countryside,
Monarch butterflies flutter,
bells bloom on sourwood trees.
                   --Brenda Kay Ledford



8 comments:

lil red hen said...

Splendid description of the late summer flowers. I have noticed yellow flowers at the edges of the hay fields. I tried, and finally got a start of them in a flower bed, only to learn that most wild flowers can be very invasive. ;)

Laurel Wood said...

Good Morning! Such a lovely poem about my favorite time of the year and your photos are great. I have a hummingbird feeder outside my window and enjoy watching them so much. The goldenrod is pretty but makes me sneeze! lol I wish you a nice weekend.

Susie Swanson said...

Oh I love this's one Brenda. Hope you all have had a good summer in spite of all that's going on. Stay safe, Susie

Eggs In My Pocket said...

your wonderful words describe your lovely photos perfectly! I just love how goldenrod looks!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I love the way goldenrod looks. Your photos are so pretty and your words are always os descriptive and wonderful!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Wild Autumn flowers....

So, so beautiful....

🍁🍂🍁

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Flowers never sounded so good as in these words that are as lovely as the blooms they describe. Also, thanks for your visit and comment on my anniversary post, Brenda.

janet smart said...

You always have the pretties pictures and poems, Brenda