Thursday, December 8, 2016

Historic Hayesville Holiday

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in the town of Hayesville.  Snowflakes twirl doilies and cast a glow on the Blue Ridge Mountains, part of the Appalachian chain in western North Carolina.

The old red-brick courthouse dazzles with wreaths.  Christmas lights sparkle on evergreen trees around the town square and on every street corner you'll hear silver bells.

It's Christmas time in this little town.  Ornaments glitter like gold at the gazebo.  Decorations grace storefronts, homes and churches. Tidings of joy fill your heart.

To celebrate Jack Frost's favorite season, don't miss the Christmas parade in Hayesville.  Floats, classic cars, and horses lap the town square.  Hayesville High School band marches and plays festive music.  But the best is last.  Santa and his reindeer make the grand finale as the jingle bells resound on the mountain air.

Grab a cup of hot chocolate and step back to a simpler time.  It's like a Norman Rockwell painting coming to life in this mountain hinterland.  History wraps garlands around the little town and its red-brick courthouse.

This old courthouse was built in 1887 and has long served as the heart of the community.  Singing conventions were held here and picnics spread under the maples.  Farm families traveled over dirt roads on Saturday to trade at the dimestore and Cut Worm Phillip's country store.  Others got a soda float at Tiger's while children played on the courthouse grounds.

Finally, Christmas in Hayesville has a special magic.  It's a festive flavor of an old-fashioned holiday that makes the holidays warm and sweet.  The true meaning of Christmas fills our hearts with hope.






















I wish all my blogger friends a very Merry Christmas and happy New Year!





13 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Beautiful post, Brenda! I loved looking at the images (I clicked and enjoyed them full-size.) and being taken back in time while reading your wonderfully nostalgic words.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Toni

lil red hen said...

Great memories! Don't we all wish for more simple times!
Merry Christmas to you, Brenda!

Susie Swanson said...

So beautiful Brenda. Hayesville and our surrounding towns holds so much history and beauty and still reminds us of that more simple time we all love so. I wish you and your mother a Very Merry Christmas and May God Bless!!

Connie said...

Beautiful photos, Brenda! It looks like a wonderful place to spend the holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

For a Christmas lover like me, you know that your post made me SMILE.... Loved it.

Hope you all escaped the horrible drought and wildfires... We have really suffered here --but luckily, no fires nearby... SAD.

Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh, you had me right there among all the town dwellers, celebrating an old fashioned Christmas!! Wonderful.

Henny Penny said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog, which helped me to find your beautiful blog. Oh my, you definitely have a new follower. Such a beautiful town. My husband and I dream of living in or near the NC mountains. I am constantly checking Craigslist for small farms for sale up that way. I could spend the day looking at your blog...I love the poem! I surely will be back! Henny

Pam said...

What lovely photos and I love reading about your towns Christmas! Thank you so much for sharing them.

Have a very Merry Christmas!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Janet, said...

Beautiful, Brenda. Your town reminds me of our small town of Ripley, WV. And, I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas, too!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Lovely all dressed up for my favorite holiday- Christmas!!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

How beautiful and festive it all looks! Have a merry Christmas and wonderful New Year!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

So lovely! Have a merry Christmas and wonderful New Year!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I appreciate very much my blogger friends and hope you'll have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!