Friday, April 22, 2022

Mother's Day

 

Happy Mother's Day to all of my blogger friends.  I appreciate you very much!


This is a photo of my mother, Blanche, who passed away April 14, 2021.  I still miss her very much. We were very close, and I have posted a poem about my mother.  

Lend a Hand

My hands have served

me well as blood veins

crisscross like Blue Ridge Mountains

where I grew up.

I hoed the garden,

picked okra, corn, green beans,

squash and dug Irish potatoes.

I canned food, strung leather breeches.

Brother George and I hacked

firewood with a cross-cut saw

on Davy Mountain, carried water

from the spring for the family.

I scrubbed laundry on a rub board,

pressed clothes with a flat iron

heated in the fireplace.

I married Rondy and we had

four babies, held them closely

knowing life is short.

I made dresses from feed sacks,

pieced patchwork quilts.

            --Brenda Kay Ledford




 I wish all my blogger friends a very happy Mother's Day.  If your mom is still alive, I hope you will be able to visit with her and let her know how much you love her.  It's so sad that we will not always have our mothers with us.  

This is a photo of Mama when we attended the Georgia Mountain Fair in Hiawassee, GA.  She put out many a washing in her younger days in the old wash tub using the rub board.  Thank God for modern conveniences such as the washing machines.  



If you would like to read my book of poetry about Mama, it may be found on www.amazon.com.

The title of the book of poetry is:  Blanche, Poems of a Blue Ridge Woman.  The book was published last year by Redhawk Publications.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Cherish those precious memories.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I bought your book when you wrote about it and have enjoyed it! I love reading about your mother and seeing her pictures. What a lot of happy memories you have. Blessings to you!

Glenda Beall said...

Lovely post. I know you miss your mom. She was a sweet and kind person. Good poem about her. My mother did many of the things you said your mom did. She cooked on a wood stove and for a few years, she lived in a farmhouse with no hot water, no electricity, and no indoor plumbing. I am grateful that didn't last long and she had the conveniences she needed.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Lovely tribute to your lovely Mama.....

Gentle hugs
🌸🌺🌸🌺🌸🌺🌸

Hootin Anni said...

What a wonderful tribute!!!

James F. Davis said...

Beautiful tribute to you Mom and brother

James F. Davis said...

Beautiful tributes to your mom and brother.