Wednesday, December 8, 2021

A Blue Ridge Mountain Christmas


Snowflakes silently falling
on the evergreen trees.
Sleigh bells ringing,
the faithful coming
to the little country church
in the Hawkins Cove.
A simple Christmas play,
children dressed in bathrobes
like shepherds tending
their flocks by night,
feathers flutter on angel wings.
Gathering around the manger,
singing "Joy to the World,"
the beautiful star of Bethlehem
fills the mountain church
with peace and love.
    --Brenda Kay Ledford
Reprinted from "Blanche, Poems of 
                          a Blue Ridge Woman,"
Published by:  Redhawk Publishing

I wish my blogger friends a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!





 

5 comments:

Mari said...

That's a beautiful poem, I feel like I'm there!

Hill Top Post said...

Your beautiful poem certainly brings back a lot of memories. How well I remember those old school plays when the children dressed in bath robes. I love it! Wishing you all the simple joys of an old-fashioned Christmas.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Such a wonderful poem for this season! Wishing you a merry Christmas!

janet smart said...

Merry Christmas to you Brenda. Lovely poem. I was an angel once in a church play.

Betsy said...

Merry Christmas to you. I remember the school plays and church plays. I wish my grand children could have those memories. Church will have plays but nothing like the ones I had. Wonderful poem.