Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Fabulous Fall


 

Acorns tap the tin roof
of an old red barn,
maples square dance
in pumpkin-spiced skirts.

A wedge of geese
resounds through azure skies
and lands on an oval pond.
Goldenrods glitter in the meadow,

watercolors splash the mountains,
Queen Anne's lace spins doilies
on the country roadsides;
corns shocks rattle their fingers.

Lilac asters toss their shawls,
Monarch butterflies sip
sweet nectar from milkweed:
the katydids saw their fiddles.
                   --Brenda Kay Ledford

This poem appeared in "West End Poets Newsletter,"
                                        September/October/November 2021
 www.westendpoetsweekend.com



Happy fall to all of my blogger friends!  

11 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

That poem so beautifully describes fall.

Laurel Wood said...

Hi, this is just beautiful, Brenda Kay. I will be sharing this with my family members. God bless you as Autumn is just around the corner. Mildred

Hootin Anni said...

You painted a perfect Autumn scene with your words!!

Granny Marigold said...

Lovely poem on this first day of Meteorological Fall. So appropriate.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Always love your pretty words. Such a lovely autumn landscape in your photo! What a pretty red barn with a quilt design!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Love the pretty barn with the flag! Always love your pretty words! Such a lovely autumn scene!

Mari said...

What a beautiful, descriptive poem!

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful poem Brenda. It sure is looking like Fall here. I hope you've enjoyed your summer. Hugs.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What an evocative word picture you painted. I can see it all, and your photos are a delight!

Unknown said...

The story of the dogs tied to the table made me laugh so hard. Also the pic of the mountains are gorgeous always wanted to live in N.C. where my daughter moved I am in Louisiana and the best I could do was the mountains of Arkansas but after 5 years I came back home Love your content

Unknown said...

The story of the dogs tied to the table made me laugh so hard. Also the pic of the mountains are gorgeous always wanted to live in N.C. where my daughter moved I am in Louisiana and the best I could do was the mountains of Arkansas but after 5 years I came back home Love your content