Thursday, August 12, 2021

Daredevil Dogs


 

Daredevil Dogs

Early one morning, Pepper ( a black lab dog), Lady (a golden retriever), and I took a walk.  I wanted to get a cup of coffee to sip as we walked.  

I tied Pepper and Lady to a table outside Ingles, and went inside to Starbucks for coffee.  I didn't stay very long.  When I got outside, I couldn't find my dogs.  The table was gone.  A trash can was turned over and it was a disaster.

I looked across the parking lot.  Pepper and Lady were running like scalded dogs and dragging the table.

"Pepper!  Lady!  Stop!" I screamed.

Lady looked back at me as though to say, "I'm sorry.  Pepper made me do it."

I ran and chased those dogs until I was out of breath.  They raced to the parking lot at Huddle House.  A woman was getting out of her car.  "Don't tear that car door off!" I yelled.  "I'll have to buy a new Cadillac."  The table just missed the car by inches.

Pepper and Lady headed up a hill.  The table bounce, bounce, bounced over the rocks.  Those dogs didn't stop a minute and loped toward a medical clinic.

A man was shuffling across the parking lot on a walker.  "Don't knock that man down!" I screamed.  I held my breath and thought I was might have a heart attack.  That table just barely missed the poor old man.

By this time, I was exhausted.  If I ever caught the dogs, how would I tie them up and return the table to Ingles?  I just didn't know what to do.

A man was standing outside the part's place.  He rushed to the runaway dogs, caught them, and tied them to a tree.  Then he picked up the table and returned it to Ingles.  I tried to pay him, but he wouldn't take a penny.

I tell you what, if I ever take another walk with those dogs, I'll never tie them to a  table outside Ingles again.  I'll find a good, strong, light pole.

Well, this story is fiction, but I wanted to post it hoping my blogger friends might get a laugh.

By:  Brenda Kay Ledford




4 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

For a minute I could visualize the whole scene.

Granny Marigold said...

I love your wild dog tale. Having owned a Black Lab I found it very believable.
Have a lovely weekend.

Mari said...

You did give me a laugh! I'm glad you didn't really have to chase them down. :)

Glenda Beall said...

That was a really funny story because you wrote it that way. It could have been a sad story, but your writing did the trick. Thanks.