Saturday, May 1, 2021

White-Tailed Deer


The horizon burns
like wildfire above
the Shewbird Mountain.

They appear as ghosts
in the Matheson Cove,
nibble tender green leaves

beside the Hyatt-Mill Creek.
They rip blossoms
from the mountain laurel,

purple flowers dangle
from their mouths
and dot the woodland trail.

They startle and bound
into the last ray of light
ricocheting through the pines.
            --Brenda Kay Ledford






Mother's Day will come this month.  I'm wishing all my blogger friends a very happy, and blessed Mother's Day!

Brenda


Needless to say, I love to watch the deer appear in the evening just as the sun goes down.  I love the fawns with dots on their coats.  They enjoy nibbling the tender green leaves and unfortunately, they enjoy feasting on plants just popping out of the gardens.  Deer are really cute, but can be the gardener's nightmare.















5 comments:

BVLW said...

The deer and verse are so beautiful. This brings to mind Psalms 42:1.
BVLW

lil red hen said...

Brenda, you are so right! They're a pretty animal but can be so destructive to vegetable and flower gardens. Sometimes we have as many as nine at a time grazing here close to the house. Last summer I put two big rag dolls in the garden to protect my purple hull peas. It worked ~ but I don't know about this summer, Will they remember?

Ruth Hiebert said...

They are sweet to watch. I do agree that they can do a lot of damage to a garden.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a beautiful poem and lovely pictures, too. I love "ricocheting through the pines"!

Janet, said...

Love the poem and great pictures! We have lots of deer, too. We have to put an electric fence around our vegetable garden.