Friday, May 31, 2019

Tiger Lilies


The first day of June,
tiger lilies splash
orange juice across
the mountain roadsides.

The first day of June,
a wild turkey struts
through my front yard
and bathes in sunlight.

The first day of June,
bluebirds lift praise songs
in the poplar trees,
an azure sky watching.

The first night of June,
fireflies flicker like lanterns,
Queen Anne's lace spins doilies,
a Monarch butterfly sips nectar.
             --Brenda Kay Ledford




Image result for monarch butterfly photos free


11 comments:

lil red hen said...

Such a beautiful, descriptive poem, Brenda. Aren't the lilies lovely? I noticed this morning mine have begun blooming.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. We've had too much rain all winter and spring. We've only been able to bale hay two days and the grass is way beyond prime for cutting. But, there's always "maybe" for the rest of the summer.

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful, descriptive poem Brenda. Love this time of year. Happy June!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh so pretty. Love these pictures.

Granny Marigold said...

Sweet words that speak of some of the beauty of this special time of Spring-almost-Summer.

Glenda Beall said...

Yes, the first of June brings all those things my way, too, here in the mountains. Lovely photos.

Karen said...

I love June, not too hot yet, flowers in bloom, and my first grandchild's 20th birthday! Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your words have captured the month of June so perfectly! Just lovely!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Pretty words to go with a pretty month!

Henny Penny said...

You are exactly right about June. May has always been my favorite month, but I love June too. We have a few Tiger lilies in bloom now. Your writing is so pretty.

Connie said...

I love the word images in your poem, Brenda, and your photos are beautiful too!

Joan Ellen Gage Admin said...

Gorgeous imagery, Brenda! Thank you!