Wednesday, January 5, 2022

January


 

Here in western North Carolina, we had a light dusting of snow on Monday morning.  It was beautiful.  The first snow always thrills me.  Everything was so pretty covered with the snow:  the trees, grass, power lines, and the snow-capped mountains.  I know in many part of our country, the blizzards have caused miles and miles of stranded motorists and it's not been pleasant.  But I love the cardinals perching on snow-covered branches.

I think cardinals are my favorite birds.  Legend goes that cardinals are messengers from heaven, perhaps loved ones thinking of us.  I don't know if this is true, but it's a good thought.  It seems that when my sister and I talk each morning on  the telephone, a redbird often appears outside my window and perches in the dogwood tree.  It always makes  me happy to see a cardinal outside my house.

This weekend I made a birdhouse.  I really enjoyed constructing it.  I painted it with bold colors and hung it on the front porch. Winter is a great time to do crafts and drink hot cocoa.  I sure wish I had the gift of quilting like some of my blogger friends.  My mama had the talent of quilting, but that is not my calling.  Good thing the Lord has given us all different gifts.  It would be  a dull  world if all of us were alike.

I wanted to share with my blogger friends a true story that our church family believes was  a miracle.  My pastor, his wife, two daughters, and two grandchildren crossed the mountains to Franklin, NC on New Year's Eve.  After dinner at Shoneys, they headed home.  The pastor was  driving the truck and no traffic was coming.  Suddenly, a big truck zoomed down the road, hit their truck and knocked the pastor and his family into a transfer truck!  It totaled the pastor's vehicle, but no one was injured.  Our pastor believes it was the hand of God protecting them because his entire family could have been killed.  Our entire church is just so thankful no one was hurt.  We think it's a miracle.

I hope that my blogger friends will have a happy and safe New Year!

Blessings,

Brenda


7 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

It truly could have been a disaster. Thankfully no one was injured.

I too love cardinals. I hope you show us the birdhouse!?

Ruth Hiebert said...

That certainly sounds like a miracle. The Hand of God protecting this car full of people.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That near-disaster certainly could be counted as a Christmas miracle. Sending you best wishes, Kay, for a better and happy new year.

Mari said...

What a beautiful photo!
I agree, God was protecting them.

Betsy said...

The way it happened, and no one was hurt was truly a miracle. God had them. thank you for sharing.
I have heard that about the Cardinals as being messengers. My sister is scared of them a little. This past fall they kept flying into her windows not just in one area of the house but all around and pecking at the windows, even when she was standing there. Scared her to pieces. They were pretty aggressive. Never seen that Happen before. Hope not again. Beautiful they are though.
Wishing you a most Happy New Year! Betsy

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Thank you for sharing that story! I believe it WAS a miracle. God is so good to us. All the time!
I love cardinals, too!

R. Williams said...

Beautiful.