Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Ode to the Dandelion

Image result for dandelions




I get excited almost as much as my great-niece about flowers, but not about the dandelion.  Even this herb thrills her 4-year-old heart.


"Flower," she exclaims.  "There's a flower," Reagan adds and races with her blonde curls bouncing to pick the weed.


To me the dandelion is just a weed.  It's invasive and will take over my lawn.  I'll need to spray the yard, but Reagan sees the beauty in this plant.


Maybe I should view the world through the joyful eyes of a child.  Little Reagan finds beauty all about her, but I see the "work" involved with mowing the lawn.


So what's so pretty about the dandelion?  Maybe the color.  The bright fringed petals twirl like a ballerina waving yellow streamers.  It's like lemon drops or Grandma's churned butter.  It's like a sunbeam splashing the verdant grass.


Despite Reagan seeing the beauty in this simple plant, the dandelion has medicinal purposes.  The local health food store recommends dandelion tea as a diuretic.


The dandelion is a common herb used to reduce fever in Chinese medicine.  It contains several anti-inflammatory constituents.  The dandelion has not been tested for fever-lowering properties by conventional scientists.


Additionally, this small yellow flower dots meadows around the world.  Its roots are known as a powerhouse of healthy benefits.  Dandelion's use traces back to the 10th century when Arabian physicians revered the root for its cleansing properties and as a natural aid for digestion.


Maybe little Reagan knows more than I do about both the beauty and value of the dandelion.  Perhaps I could learn from this child if I would take time to appreciate the beauty of God's creation.


by:  Brenda Kay Ledford






Image result for dandelions


Image result for dandelions



8 comments:

lil red hen said...

I love the cheerfulness of the dandelion, both in color and its early arrival in the spring. It doesn't bother me to have the feathery seed pods scattered across the yard. My backyard is covered with tiny pink spring beauties.

Thank you so much for the comments you leave for me.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I know these little flowers can become a nuisance in the lawn, but a close inspection will reveal their true beauty. They really are very pretty.

Susie Swanson said...

Very well done Brenda. I love the dandelion myself but now I appreciate it even more seeing it through the eyes of a child. Happy Spring!!

Hill Top Post said...

Have you ever seen a child who could resist blowing away dandelion fluff? What fun! Maybe we should all be taking a closer look at the benefits of the lowly dandelion.

Connie said...

I know they are a weed, but I can't help but like their bright, cheery yellow color. To me they are a welcome sign of spring too.

Granny Marigold said...

So many of the first flowers of Spring are a cheerful yellow, even the lowly Dandelion.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Aren't we lucky to be able to see beauty through the eyes of a child? Here, dandelion is also considered to be just a weed......but just as you have posted, it has many medicinal qualities. I think the "quality of joy" should also be included when it comes to Reagan and all other children!

Glenda Beall said...

Any flower that blooms after a long dark winter brings a smile to my face. I know the dandelion is a hated weed, but I, too, like to see the little yellow flowers in spring. I don't have a lawn now, so they don't bother me. Thanks for the photos and the words about this flower your little niece loves.